Monday, December 20, 2010

Featured Author: Naomi Chase

How did you become a writer?
I don't know whether I chose writing, or writing chose me. I've always been an avid reader, so it seemed a natural progression for me to someday try my hand at penning a book. I completed my first "novel" at age 17, then went on to minor in creative writing in college. I have been writing ever since!

What are you hoping readers take from your book?
Exposed is a story about a woman who will do anything to keep a secret hidden. I want the book to make readers think about the choices we make in life, and how those choices impact not only our lives, but those of our family and friends. And, of course, I also want readers to be thoroughly entertained by the story.

Who is the hero in you life? How does your hero inspire you?
One of my biggest heroes is my husband. He's a man of character, strength, conviction, and deep faith. Even when I suffer from self doubt, he always believes in me and encourages me not to give up. I'm grateful to have such a loving, supportive man in my corner.

Name three goals you want to accomplish as a writer within the next 4 years.
  • Reach a major bestseller list (New Yor Times, USA, Today, Essence)
  • Have one of my books optioned for a movie
  • Command a higher print run
What are your favorite marketing and/or promotional tools?
Honestly, I'm still getting the hang of effective marketing and promotion. I know I definitely need to take better advantage of social networking (i.e., Facebook, Twitter). For me, the most important thing is having an updated web site that lets readers know about upcoming releases, book signings, contests, etc. Another thing I've found very rewarding is having a Yahoo group, which enables me to interact with my readers and get to know them better, and vice versa.

What is one thing you have learned about the publishing industry?
First and foremost, I've learned that success doesn't come overnight. There are many talented writers out there who may never land a publishing contract, or who may never "make it big." It takes hard work, determination, and a true love for writing to perserve through all the ups and downs of the publishing industry.

What advice would you give to an aspiring author?
Believe in yourself. If you're doing everything you can to hone your craft as a writer and you honestly believe that you have a gift to share with the world, don't let anything stand in your way of becoming an author. And stop making excuses for why you haven't completed that manuscript you've been working on for years. You owe it to yourself to finish the book and get it out there. You never know what doors God may open for you!

Who was the first author you read? What was the the title of the book?
Oh, man, that was such a long time ago! LOL. The first book that really impacted me was Judy Blume's Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. It was a humorous coming-of-age story that I could relate to as a shy, angst-ridden preteen.

Tell us what new projects you are working on?
I'm currently working on Deception, the sequel to Exposed. The story picks up right where the previous book ended. I hope readers will enjoy this new tale of lust, deception, and betrayal.

Where can readers find you?
I love to hear from readers! I can be reached via email at chaseme@naomichase.com, and readers can also visit my website at http://www.naomichase.com/ and check me out on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment